Tuesday, September 11, 2007

First Questions

Daniels & Bizar:
1) Best practice teaching is about putting the student's learning first and foremost. The method behind that varies per teacher and per student, but most important aspect is that the students well-being is put forward.

2) The tenets of best practice teaching include a classroom that is holistically student learning centered, uses social education, and collaborative work strategies.

3) Best practice is not where students feel like they are in a memory Olympics, it is not teacher centered, and it does not rely solely on reading and rote work.

4) I think the best way to get best practice involved in an english classroom is Literacy circles. It would open up students socially, get them to collaborate and deal with varying viewpoints. Literacy circles would also help build a community in the classroom which aids the best practice theory.

Murray:
1) To be a writer means to be self conscious of one's self. Murray really stresses the point home about how writing becomes an extension of the writer, and how a person re-lives, or first lives, because of their writing. Being a writer gives a person power, it gives the the power to escape, the power to create, the power to do and be things they could never be in reality.

2) "Nulla dies sine linea" I picked the Latin line from Murray because i love what he is trying to express about writing with it. Translated it means: never a day without a line. And that is so true, writing, like any sport or talent, takes practice. When I was a kid coming back to school after the summer was hard, not just because there was so much less freedom, but because I had not written during the summer, my hand was not used to having to hold a pencil and make legible sentences, I could however play tag with the best of them. And that was all because the muscle I had exercised all summer was my running, not my writing. I think with practice everyday writing will become easier, and develop into bigger and better things.

1 comment:

Ashley Vogl said...

I think what you said about Best Practice not being a "memory Olympics" is really true. In my opinion, rote rehearsal does absolutely nothing to help the child actually LEARN the information. It's kind of like when students cram for exams and then forget the material right after they take the test. I also really liked the last thing you said about improvements in writing with practice. It's interesting how you compared running with writing, but I agree with you, it's really true. I think some people think they're either talented writers or they're not and if they're not, they don't want to put in the effort to improve.